Friday, 24 May 2019 16:35

Fire officials give grilling safety pointers

Written by

BANGOR - For those staying at home this Memorial Day weekend and thinking about grilling, local firefighters have some reminders about how to grill safely.

 

Bangor fire officials said regardless of whether you're using a charcoal or propane grill, to never leave it unattended and keep it away from combustible materials.

 

When firing up a propane grill for the first time, firefighters said you should inspect it first, especially the hose.

 

"One of the things we do sometimes is we take soapy water and spray it on to the hose to make sure there's no cracks or anything, because over the course of winter that can crack and if it cracks then you have a leak, and that can lead to a fire," said Jake Johnson, the Public Education Officer with the Bangor Fire Department.

 

With charcoal grills, the public is reminded not to use flammable fuels other than charcoal lighter, and to properly dispose of coals.