Bangor, ME - Husson took two home wins at Boucher Field, of all places, Thursday afternoon to move to 8-4 on the 2014 campaign. The wins don't count toward their North Atlantic Conference (NAC) record, but help the Eagles further their record over .500.
"Today was a great day for us, after being inside for so long it felt good to get back out in the fresh air," said Husson Head Coach Kristie Hawkins.
In game one Husson scored first, tallying three runs in the bottom of the third. Lyndsay Merrill doubled to left scoring both Allie Hill and Kayla Merrill followed buy a Chelsea Brennan single up the middle to score Lyndsay Merrill.
The Eagles picked up another in the bottom of the fourth as well, as Hill singled and advanced to second scoring Haley Spiers.
Maine Maritime pitcher Abby Yeo helped her cause in a big way in the top of the sixth. The Mariners loaded the bases and with two outs, Yeo blasted a grand slam over the left centerfield fence to knot the game at 4-4. Lauren McKenna was hit by a pitch in the next at bat and scored the go-ahead run on an Ashlee Knight double.
Both Husson and MMA were scoreless through the bottom of the sixth and the top of the seventh but Husson, down to their final out, walked off on the bat of Sami Schultz who ripped one down the left field line past the fielder. Jess Poulin scored easily and Casey Lopes hustled from second to score the game-winning run.
For Husson, Amanda Ryan picked up the win to move to 3-3 in 2014. Ryan went seven innings giving up all five earned runs on seven hits with three walks while fanning ten Mariners.
Yeo for MMA received the loss to fall to 1-2 after going six and two-thirds innings, giving up six runs on ten hits with three walks and five K's.
Game two was a completely different story than game one, as the Eagles eight-run ruled the Mariners en route to the sweep.
The Eagles plated five runs in the second inning and scored the remaining three runs their needed in the bottom of the fourth for the mercy-rule win. Sami Schultz, Haley Spiers and Lyndsay Merrill all had hits in the third while Jess Poulin, Casey Lopes, Schultz, Spiers and Mallory Conary all scored to go up 5-0.
In the fourth Lopes delivered a big double to left center scoring Chelsea Brennan and Lyndsay Merrill. Jess Poulin provided the final pop with a single to left plating Brennan to achieve the eight-run deficit.
Kayla Merill picked up the win in the circle in game two for Husson improving to 5-1 on the year, and Erica Taylor fell to 1-2 with the loss. Merrill went all five for the Eagles allowing just two hits while striking out eight.
"Our pitchers Amanda Ryan and Kayla Merril had strong performances today which really helped put us on top and give us the extra support we needed in both games," said Hawkins, "The first game was closer then we would have liked but a couple of clutch walks and a big hit from Sami Schultz allowed us to the job done. I was happy to see us pick it right back up in game two to get the sweep. I'm happy with the progress and hard work our girls have made and look forward to the conference opener this weekend!"
Husson will host Castleton at home this Sunday for a North Atlantic Conference doubleheader.
- Pedestrian struck by vehicle in Ellsworth
- Bangor police have arrested a two people following a rash of vehicle thefts
- Empty camp catches fire Friday morning
- Maine Forest Rangers busy fighting multiple fires
- One of Bangor's favorite restaurants is preparing for a second course
- UPDATE: Murder suspect deemed competent to stand trial in Massachusetts
- Rhode Island man arrested on robbery charges
- Large wild land fire reported in area of Stockton Springs
- Pittsfield apartment fire displaces multiple families
- Sen. King said he will remain an independent
- Night maze at Treworgy Family Orchard adds some Halloween fun
- Purple Pinkie Project helping to fight Polio across the globe
- Poliquin holds veteran advisory panel
- State of Maine to receive settlement from GM
- Day eight of Anthony Sanborn ends
- Man leads police on high speed chase
- Extended foliage season peeks this weekend
- Reports: Marilyn Manson injured during New York concert
- The fascinating sex life of Jonathan, the 186-year-old giant tortoise
- Massachusetts coffee shop shutters its door after anti-police Facebook post
- Foreigners who joined ISIS faced almost certain death in Raqqa
- Abandoning our Kurdish allies is a win for our Iranian enemies
- USS Ronald Reagan visits South Korean port after week-long joint military drills
- Woman claims Roman Polanski molested her at age 10; wants him kicked out of Academy
- US: DNA test confirms top Filipino terror suspect is dead
- Malta offers $1.18M to discover who killed reporter Daphne Caruana Galizia
- Trump says 'end of the ISIS caliphate is in sight' after liberation of Raqqa
- Sgt. La David T. Johnson, US soldier subject of political fracas, laid to rest
- Defeating ISIS isn’t enough: Trump urgently needs a new Syria policy
- Pelosi claims she must remain as House leader to ensure 'top woman' at the table
- Shock as Zimbabwe's Mugabe named WHO 'goodwill ambassador'
- Dan Gainor: Media won't touch Russian uranium story tied to Hillary, and other epic journalism disasters
- Harvey Weinstein disputes Lupita Nyong'o's sexual harassment claims
- Trump suggests he'll allow release of classified files on Kennedy assassination
- Trump calls Rep. Wilson 'wacky' in ongoing feud about call to military widow
- Crikey! Steve Irwin's Family To Return To Animal Planet 11 Years After His Death
- Usher Sings Karaoke With Ludacris & Stevie Wonder At His 39th Birthday Party
- Julianne Hough & Brooks Laich Share Sweet Wedding Snaps From Their Ceremony
- Paul Wesley and Phoebe Tonkin Break Up After Four Years of Dating
- 'DWTS' Disney Week Is Rocked By Shocking Elimination
- Elton John Will End His Caesars Palace Residency Next Year
- Mel B Flaunts Her Fabulous Abs While On A Tropical Vacation – See The Pics!
- Molly Sims Shares Delicious Recipes From Her New Book 'Everyday Chic: My Secrets For Entertaining, Organizing, and Decorating at Home'
- Louis Tomlinson’s Son Freddie Looks Just Like Him — Check Out The Fan Reactions!
- Sources Say 'Suits' Star Meghan Markle Has Not Quit The Show Yet
- Ed Sheeran Wears a Cast After He Gets Hurt In London Bike Accident
- Nick Jonas & Demi Lovato Congratulate Joe Jonas On Engagement
- Yankees face elimination again, this time in ALCS Game 7
- Mavericks fall to Kings 93-88 without Dennis Smith Jr.
- No. 1 Alabama heavy favorite against rival Tennessee
- Dynamic Dodgers reach World Series with consummate teamwork
- NHL says Avs' nullified goal vs. Blues should have counted
- Dolphins center Mike Pouncey returns to practice, questionable for Sunday's game
- Hassan Whiteside will miss Heat's game vs. Pacers
- How much pressure is Dak Prescott under this week against San Francisco?
- Pacers' Turner out next two games with neck injury, concussion
- Rookie stars headline Mavs-Kings matchup
- Deflated Ball: Blake gets 29 in Clips' 108-92 rout of Lakers
- Raiders score on final play to beat Chiefs 31-30